Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Worth it

It's not always easy to do the right thing, but when you're done, it's always worth it.

Sure, that sounds good, but agreeing with it and putting it into practice are two different things. Yesterday was a really weird day for me. I had no momentum or desire to get anything done. I overslept, I took a nap, I watched early round French Open for hours. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty lame. At least throughout it all I knew I planned to run in the evening. I would redeem myself by being active and keeping my commitment to Couch to 5K. Just before 6, I shook Adam out of bed (he napped for an hour longer than me) and got dressed in my running gear. We had decided to drive 5 minutes to the beach and run on the biking/running trail along the street out there for a change of scenery.

As Adam is lacing up his shoes, he looks out the back window and says it's raining lightly. Now, I did run in the rain on Friday and felt like a champ for sticking with it, but I wasn't really planning on making that a regular workout. My commitment starts wavering. But the rain isn't TOO bad, so we hop in the car and drive over. Yeah, it's definitely raining. On the bridge over the sound to the beach, it starts RAINING. Hard. I am NOT going to run in this. I'm looking at Adam making faces and planning to reschedule this for tomorrow in my head. Finally, we roll up in the parking lot and it's back to raining lightly. Well, I guess we're all the way out here and this is not any worse than it was Friday, so I get out and stretch. Just as I'm done and starting to head out on my warm up walk, it stops raining. I turn around to smile at Adam and there is an HUGE rainbow behind me. It's big and easy to see and a full half-circle. WOW. It was exactly the boost I needed. It would have been so much easier to stay at home when we saw the first sprinkles, but because we went out anyway, we had a great post-rain run capped off with a beautiful rainbow. Totally worth it.

Now, if the rainbow was a sign that Adam and I had made the right choice by braving the rain, I'm not sure what being locked out of our car when we got back to the parking lot was a sign of. Just another reminder that even when we think we've figured it out, it's clear that we have no idea what we're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment