Saturday, May 23, 2009

What a difference

First of all: WOOOOOO!! I DID IT! I ran for 20 minutes yesterday! In the rain! I realized it was raining lightly when I stepped outside, but I had already changed and had my iPod all set to go. I really didn't want to have the run hanging over my head for another day, so I decided to go out anyway, hoping it would stop soon. Unfortunately, around minute 8, it just got stronger. At that point, I figured I was already pretty wet (and far enough from home) so I kept at it. It was still never really pouring, just coming down pretty regularly, but I did have to keep blinking water out of my eyes. I was tired with about 3 minutes left, but I also knew that I could keep it up and finish. I had this goofy grin on my face for about the first whole minute of my cool down walk. I felt like such a champ for being committed enough to finish, even with the rain.

Which all begs the question: who is this girl? It can't be Mary. Mary shakes her head in confusion at the DC joggers who are out at 7am on Christmas Day all bundled up. Mary WALKS. Just four months ago, I made this scrapbook page: 10 Random Things About Mary. #2 on the list, right between "I love to play Mario video games" and "My favorite color is pink" is "I loathe running."



I think I used to hate running because I thought I couldn't do it. The difference for me was a program that slowly introduced it to me and proved to me that I could. Even though it's been almost a complete 180 degree turn around for me, it's been pretty slow and gradual. I really can't say enough good things about the Couch to 5K program. It finally made running seem approachable to me. I looked at the routine for Week One and thought, "Hey, that doesn't seem so bad." And after doing Week One, the routine for Week Two didn't seem so daunting either. Now, I know that I can run. I KNOW that I can finish my first 5K on the Fourth.

Right now, I still wouldn't say that I love running, but I'm beginning to love the feeling of accomplishment and progress that I have after running. Yesterday, at the end of my run, I felt like I was on top of the world. I can't wait for the feeling of crossing my first finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment